Your body often speaks on your behalf, sometimes without you knowing what it’s saying. Studies show that your words account for only 7% of the messages you convey, the remaining 93% is non-verbal – based on what people see and hear through the tone of your voice. So in business meetings, people can see what you’re not saying. It’s important to make sure your body language matches your words if you want them to ring true.
Being aware of your body language works best if you add sincerity – avoid faking it.
Infect with passion. Exude enthusiasm and offer a welcoming face to the people you’re addressing.
What you say is not as important as how you say it. Say what you mean and mean what you say.
End meetings with solid punctuation: eye contact and firm handshake is the equivalent of a full stop.
Body language is a subtle but important form of communication.
Repairing lightning rods on Christ The Redeemer Statue in Rio de Janeiro.
I am sure you also love it when someone says “We have being playing telephone ping pong” or whatever the expression is. Hang on … playing? It is not fun chasing anyone – yes, we are trying to contact someone and some people are just very difficult to get a hold of. And, what’s the deal with that person who calls you, and you miss their call by 15 seconds, and then you try call them back right away and it just rings.
We all got to keep cool heads in these wired times, and a sense of humour helps too.
What I can never quite grasp is when someone goes “Why didn’t you call me back?” Is that the rule – if someone calls you and you missed their call, then, it is expected that you call them back? I get a lot of calls in a day and I don’t monitor my phone like RoboPhoneCop, so if someone leaves me a message then I listen and call them back. But if that same someone then says “Did not see the missed call?” then I never actually know how to respond. Saying something like “I did see it” is not what they want to hear. Yup, these mobile machines are great and all, but they sure do make life more interesting.
We must always be polite and professional – what I would say is “I have been crazy busy and was going to try you later when I had time to think straight and can listen to you properly.” But I am sincere about it, and I do call them later, when I have time.
Nothing is worse than that brush-off call from the car, where you can’t hear much and most of the conversation goes like this “Hello … hello … can you hear me … hello … hello”, I’d better be off listening to Adele – she’s got a good voice and the music. Actually there are worse things, like death and taxes, but you get the point we are sharing.
Hang on. Isn’t the missed call akin to sending someone a blank e-mail and then saying, I never got a reply. Just saying.